Staff Timesheet Categorisation Rules
SupportAbility does not perform full award interpretation of the award to calculate things like overtime, loadings and pay rates. SupportAbility performs Staff Time Sheet categorisation, rather than full award interpretation. In addition, many payroll systems such as MYOB and Xero cannot perform award interpretation either, so if award interpretation is something you require, you can view your options here.
Audience: Authorised Representatives, Finance Team.
There are some know issues with the way that SupportAbility is categorising the hours for some Staff shifts.
SupportAbility is not currently recognising that when a shift commences before midnight, that all of that shift should be categorised as 'Inactive Night Shift'. It only recognises if the shift commences after midnight, that it is Inactive Night Shift. If the shift duration extends beyond 6:00 am, these hours will be categorised accordingly e.g. Standard Hours. In addition, weekend shifts that occur after 8 pm are being categorised as 'Evening Hours' incorrectly.
This is currently under review.
SupportAbility categorises Staff shifts based on the following rules:
- If any part of the shift is between 8:00 pm and 12:00 am, the entire shift is allocated to Evening Shift and no other rules are applied e.g:
- If the Staff Members shift is between 12:00 am and 6:00 am SupportAbility automatically allocates that time as Inactive Night Shift hours. Some or all of that time can be set as an 'Active Night Shift' by entering the relevant number of hours into the Active Night Shift allocation field:
N.B. If the shift duration extends beyond 6:00 am, these hours will be categorised accordingly e.g. Standard Hours
- All Saturday is time allocated as Time and a Half
N.B. There is a current known issue whereby SupportAbility is not categorising Saturday hours correctly when any part of the shift falls after 8pm. It is categorising this as 'Evening Hours'
- All Sunday is time allocated as Double Time
N.B. There is a current known issue whereby SupportAbility is not categorising Sunday hours correctly when any part of the shift falls after 8pm. It is categorising this as 'Evening Hours'
- All-time that falls outside the bounds of these rules is allocated as Standard Time
The current areas in SupportAbility that include Award Categorisation details are as follows:
- Generating and viewing Time Sheet Batches
- Download Detailed Time Sheets export
- Download Summary Time Sheets export
- Download Time Sheet Batch for MYOB AccountRight
- Download Time Sheet Batch for HR3
How can our organisation utilise this data?
As you may notice from the points listed above, there are some known inaccuracies that may occur regarding Staff Time Sheet hours being categorised incorrectly. Providers can continue to rely on Time Sheet Batches to accurately report the number of hours Staff Members have worked for the reporting period. However, it is recommended to review the distribution of those hours across the different Award Categorisation types manually to ensure they are accurate based on your organisation's needs and amend where required, prior to forwarding the data to your Payroll department.
This can be completed by downloading the 'Detailed Time Sheets' export available from the Actions menu:
This export provides details about each Staff Time Sheet and can be used to review each Shift line item per Staff Member, making manual categorisation adjustments where required, for example, e.g. moving any hours incorrectly categorised as 'Evening Hours' to 'Inactive Night Shift', 'Time and a Half Hours' (Saturday), or 'Double Time Hours' (Sunday) as required.
You may find the instructions outlined in the Exporting a Time Sheet Batch section of the Generating a Time Sheet Batch article useful as it steps through exporting the 'Detailed Time Sheet' export which contains each of the Staff Time Sheets.